Saturday, June 22, 2013

Reflection: If I Were A Rich Man

This is the story taken from book of Frank Mihalic on his collection of 1000 stories volume written by unknown writer. This is the story of a student who had given a task by his teacher to write an essay about him being a rich man. 
The teacher asked her students to write an essay, explaining what they would do if they each had a million dollars. Every pupil except Teddy began writing immediately. He just sat in his chair, making faces and twiddling his thumbs. At the end of the class period, the teacher collected the papers and Teddy turned his blank sheet in the with the rest. "What is the meaning of this, Teddy?" asked the teacher. "Is this your essay? All the others have a written two pages or more, while you have done absolutely nothing!" "Well," replied Teddy, "if I had that much money, that's exactly what I'd do  - nothing."
Simple story but coined with such great lesson. A teaching of not falling on the trap of being rich. Many people want to be rich, as they use to live their life with this. Many path leads on this journey, some took the hard ways while other try to jump on easy but indecent ways but either of the two they will end on nothing. Actually it is not the finish line that will make your journey meaningful but how venture your journey. In the end everything is a piece of award that you can put in the wall of your room but what really matters is the lesson you've learned from that journey.

And the trap lies beneath there, people are only thinking for that reward ignoring the lesson they learned to get that even don't have time to be grateful of what they really achieved but of all them has been trapped on their what they called reward such as money, fame, and power.

I know that I'm not on my current status to say this things because I'm not rich but to tell you the truth I experienced the same scenario. This is my story when I'm playing Facebook games, I'm so excited to figure out tough quests as well as taking up challenges. As a professional gamer, I really love to play difficult video games that made me think rationally until the day that I decided to download games cheats and have all in game stats that I ever imagined, unlimited coins, being powerful and later on I dominated the game easily as this is also a meaning of being rich in real life as they say everything will become easy as 1-2-3. At first, it was awesome fun as I found everything so easy, until I realized that I have nothing to do then, I was burn out having no challenge at all and everything seems can't add up in some of my achievement because in reality it is not me who study, learn and be challenged in game, but the cheats I used made it everything for me as simple a click of a button.

Yes, both stories differ but this is my best analogy that I can use in my reflection. In the same words, you can also do and try it with your own experience, just play the game, tough games and then later on just use cheats and play it easily you will feel the difference, the enjoyment of being challenged , the enjoyment of journeying your life and not only by means of claiming your rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment